Every morning this week, I’ve woken up to sunshine and felt so happy that spring is finally here (one exception being Mother Nature’s cute April Fool’s snow shower.) Celebrating when things are going well is a part of my efforts to continuously practice gratitude.
In the fable of the ant and the grasshopper, the industrious ant spends the beautiful spring and summer stockpiling food for the winter. When winter finally comes, the ant has more than enough to share with the frivolous grasshopper who fiddled away the summer. The grasshopper’s love of life combined with the ant’s diligence inspire me to savor each happy day: like the seasons, emotions are cyclical, and everyone has bad days.
Reflecting often on the positive and rewarding aspects of life creates a habit. Even when a day carries the bitter cold of winter, my instinct now encourages me to focus on the positive. I am not invincibly happy, but practicing gratitude has built a joyful life.
In the spirit of celebrating and looking forward, I’m sharing five bits of anticipation that are brightening my day:
- Visiting a zine library and perusing homemade magazines for creative inspiration
- Temperatures in the 50s and 60s this weekend
- A coffee shop date with myself to work on a blog style guide and overhaul (!!!)
- Time with my friend’s puppy this weekend
- Went to bed at 9 last night and fully intend to repeat the experience tonight- woo, Friday!
What are you looking forward to this weekend?