It’s that time of year again…the Chicago sky refuses to stop snowing, and cold and flu symptoms are everywhere. I thought I would share my favorite remedies and comforts today. Of course, please consult your healthcare provider for actual medical advice–though I find Ruth Reichl’s writing incredibly comforting, I don’t think it counts as a medical remedy.
- For a sore throat, gargling with apple cider vinegar in warm water does wonders. Everyday Paleo has more suggestions for natural remedies.
- One of my favorite soothing teas is organic Throat Coat tea from Traditional Medicinals. Brew a cup and settle in on the couch for warmth and relaxation.
- Remember to spend as much time sleeping or just relaxing in bed as you need–rest and time are great healers. If you can’t fall asleep, pick up a good book! After having Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl on my wishlist forever, I finally found a copy at Goodwill. Getting lost in her beautiful descriptions of decadent meals and lively company is a wonderful way to spend a day.
- Soup! Tons and tons of soup. Here are a few favorite recipes:
- Creamy Curried Carrot Soup: Paleo and can be made vegan
- 10-Minute Pizza Soup from The Clothes Make the Girl: Paleo, and who can say no to quick and easy when your energy is zapped?
- Loaded Sweet Potato Soup from Wellness Mama: Paleo, and a good way to use up leftovers
- Old episodes of the TV show Girls on HBO…because if you are staying in bed all day anyway, Hannah and her friends’ struggles will make you feel better about life.
What are your favorite remedies and comforts when sick? Is there a special meal that always makes you feel better?