Well this is exciting! 2012 has drawn to a close, and the world has continued to turn. I am so pumped to usher in 2013 with a smile and some tasty, healthy meals. Beyond the food, I’ve prepared a little something else. I think you know what’s coming…resolutions! Last year’s worked out alright–I made the spice rack, experimented in the kitchen, and ate lots of home-cooked meals with friends, though I didn’t always document them here. This year I’m planning to check in monthly, whether it’s sharing a snapshot or a story. Let’s get to it:
Food & Cooking
- Become an expert chicken carver: I can roast the heck out of a juicy bird, but I am incapable of breaking it down without relying entirely on my hands and the fact that no one is watching. This year I’d like to practice my carving skills so I can actually entertain and serve poultry in polite company.
- Improve knife skills in general: Though YouTube teaches me many things and will probably be my first resource, I’d like to take a knife skills class.
- Start an indoor herb garden: This resolution is a holdover from last year. I recently got a dozen free pots, so I’m looking forward to decorating them and planting something useful.
- Write a letter once a week: Receiving letters from friends and family makes me immeasurably happy. It is such a joy to pick up a piece of paper and hear the voice of a loved one telling you about their life, dreams, and plans for the future. I’m pretty good about sending letters, but I’d like to set aside a weekly moment to sip coffee, write a letter, then mosey on over to the Post Office and send it right away.
- Put the cell phone down. Really, right now. I wasted a lot of time in 2012 getting sucked into a little iBubble with some pretty flimsy rationalizations. This year, I want to cherish time with friends and family by keeping my phone on silent and in my purse (or room, or elsewhere). Friends, please feel free to remind me of this and/or shame me in public for egregious cell phone usage.
- Stop obsessing about not having a plan: It seems like my mind changes every day about what I want to do in the future–and I am not at all used to flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to life decisions. So here’s to a year of embracing uncertainty and having faith that there are great things in store.
- Complete the Whole30 in January: Some of you may remember that I attempted a Whole30 last year around April. Let’s not go into the craziness that was that month, but I will just admit that I started a slippery downhill slope around day 20 and totally flopped. This year, I’m in it to win it. I’ve got a buddy doing it with me (hi Beth!), two new Paleo cookbooks (thank you, dear family!), and a lot of excitement. Hopefully this will translate into dedication even when the lovely lady who shares our office brings in cookies. I’m looking forward to the awesome sleep and culinary experimentation.
- Work out regularly: Since my current workout plan is “heft my cast iron pans around the kitchen,” working out even twice a week would be a huge improvement. In the spring/summer this isn’t challenging at all, because I love to walk, hike, or run around the beach near my house. In the dead of winter, the only place I want to be is curled up in bed with a stack of blankets and books. I know regularly isn’t specific/measurable, so let’s say 2-3x per week.
- Floss every day: No explanation needed; flossing rules!
Have you made any resolutions this year? Do you have any tips for keeping resolutions strong throughout the year?